Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HID Headlight conversions  (Read 2198 times)

Offline PilgriM

• SX Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ninja 1000 ABS
HID Headlight conversions
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »

Heyas..

I have read a little bit here on HID headlight conversions (yes I used the search function), and wanted to get some more input on the options available..

Basically I NEED the headlights to be better, I had some issues on my previous bike with my night vision (I need to wear glasses at night & struggle a bit to see clearly in dim light), so its a case of what the best option is to improve my situation so I can do some night riding with scaring the crap out of myself.

The options seem to be as follows.. (feel free to add to this If I have missed something.

Stronger standard bulbs, Xenon or Halogen

HID conversion kit that used the standard reflector assembly, such as this..

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-hid-xenon-conversions.html

HID conversion kits that use large units that appear to contain their own lens & focusing unit, (by the look of them they fit in where the original bulb was), some examples..

http://www.uniquemotolights.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_45&product_id=63

http://eshop.ktautopart.com/kt-mt5-211.html

I will admit I like the look of the larger units, the round assembly within the lens is pretty sexy, also I am considering having both lit up on low beam..

On top of the type to consider, of course comes the quality of these kits, does anyone have any experience with the ones I linked above or others I have not found as of yet, it appears the cheapy ones can lose their brightness pretty quickly, not keen on that happening..

Please discuss   :465:

Offline Jon

• SX God
  • "live life to the max on a SX"
    • View Profile
  • Bike: z1000sx CLG/CBO
  • City / Town: Dalkey
Re: HID Headlight conversions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:58:58 PM »
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/BikeHPS_OnlineStore_Bulbs_140.html

Hey Pilgrim I bought the above and installed it without any hassle the kit was good quality and the light from it just a different league altogether! the kits (any kits) are quite bulky and you have to find the best place to house everything. The problem with converting both lights ( apart from all the extra wiring and converters) is you will loose high beam, its definitely illegal, low beam is a grey area at the moment as no one seems to be able answer the question least of all the departments of transport. You will also loose the ability to flash at on coming traffic by converting both as zenon lights are not instant on. The problem is though the oem light even if you change it to stronger or Halogen is a tea light by comparison. These kits do require you to make a few alterations to the standard wiring / fitting setup before installing but nothing major.
Kits that use the larger units I would imagine need to be fitted by a professional......my first thought is you would have to be able to access the unit as you simply won't fit the lens through the hole for the bulb.

In conclusion.....would I change back......no fecking way! Am I happy with the kit I used....more than happy with it and the customer service that came with it!

Jon
Jon from Dublin, Ireland

Online Experience-Matters

• SX God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Z1000SX (ebony)
  • City / Town: Vielsalm
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
http://www.uniquemotolights.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_45&product_id=63

The link you sent are for the moment the best BiXenon Projectors for the Z1000SX.
Only minor adjustments are needed to the standard projectors.

The Morimoto Mini H1's are know for their reliability, and I've only seen positive comments about them so far.

I have no idea if the slim balasts & wiring is of good quality, they don't provide any specific details about them.

The retrofitting resource, one of the most known and reputable bi-xenon kit sellers, also sells a kit with the Morimoto's
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

Don't know if the wiring is optimized for motorcycles (if for cars, the wires may be too long).

Go for 35W, 55W will be too much.

I'm doing my upgrade mid April hopefully. (full retrofit)
2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akrapovic slip-ons, Bitubo suspension, FCE, Brembo pads + Rizoma reserv., Puig screen, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy & Radiator Guard, Rizoma sport grips & feet, Throttlemeister, Vtrec vario levers, Givi E55 topcase + 2x V35 panniers, SW-Motech City electrified tankbag, Kawasaki Engine guards, Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-system, ...

Offline PilgriM

• SX Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

Thanks for the replies, the Morimoto was looking like the best option, effective and looks very nice..

• SX God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by PilgriM [+]

Thanks for the replies, the Morimoto was looking like the best option, effective and looks very nice..

The only thing I need to investigate yet, is that the original reflector can stay in mint condition.
I want to be able to revert back to the old setup, if required by police.

The original reflector can't be bought seperate, you have to buy the full light block, and that costs more then 200€.

I'd also prefer to have a black look instead of the reflectors. Stickers on the reflector is risky, as it have to stand 200° C temperature (in the oven to seal it).

Mounting the new projectors without the OEM projectors inside, would be my prefered solution, but not sure if that works.

2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akrapovic slip-ons, Bitubo suspension, FCE, Brembo pads + Rizoma reserv., Puig screen, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy & Radiator Guard, Rizoma sport grips & feet, Throttlemeister, Vtrec vario levers, Givi E55 topcase + 2x V35 panniers, SW-Motech City electrified tankbag, Kawasaki Engine guards, Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-system, ...

Offline PilgriM

• SX Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »

I cannot understand the options on the retrofit site, it has a number of different drop down selection boxes & a few of the categories make zero sense to me..

Also, the uniquemotolights site has another model to suit a Z1000SX that has the Angel eyes, I was keen on them as they do look pretty good..

http://www.uniquemotolights.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_45&product_id=61

• SX God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by PilgriM [+]

I cannot understand the options on the retrofit site, it has a number of different drop down selection boxes & a few of the categories make zero sense to me..

Also, the uniquemotolights site has another model to suit a Z1000SX that has the Angel eyes, I was keen on them as they do look pretty good..

http://www.uniquemotolights.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_45&product_id=61

The Angel Eyes, it's a cool feature, but I would rather not make the bike lights look too modded. It's an illegal mod (the bi-xenon, not the angel eyes), so better not draw too much attention to it on the streets ?
The projector is of inferior quality compared to the Mini H1.  (I've seen no comparisons, but I'm always suspicious when eshops don't list the details of their products like product brand, type etc ... )

For theretrofitsource.com, if you have specific questions, don't mind asking them, they seem to focus a lot on internal expertise and support.

Adapter Plate: H7 (I guess, since the Z1000sx original lighting is H7 (please double check) )
Balasts: 35W
Bulbs: 4300K = whitest most natural light (recommended), Higher = more blue light
Projectors: location dependent
Re-sealing Glue: Not needed, but could come in handy ?
Shrouds: Only the Mini Gatlin Gun would work (Dasani has it installed on his ZX), all others are too big. Mini Graphite might also work, they allow to have angel eyes inside the shroud. The mini graphite gives a special glowing effect by itself when the lights are on. (not much info or vids to be found about this, rather new shroud) (If possible buy both to test, they're not so expensive seen in total)
Wire harness: Relay H7 I assume

Be aware that the H1's with the smallest shroud (Mini Gatlin Gun) won't allow angel eyes. There is just no space left anymore inside the housing of the ZX lights.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:30:44 PM by Experience-Matters »

Recent Topics

expletive