No advanced training but would like to/or am intending do some
10 (26.3%)
No interest - Advance qualifications are not for me
5 (13.2%)
Currently and IAM Associate,  RoSPA Student or on other Course
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: May 02, 2016, 07:57:12 PM

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advanced riding qualifications - who's got what  (Read 15400 times)

Online Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
Advanced riding qualifications - who's got what
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:57:12 PM »
Just a short poll to see how many of us have gone through the process of gaining an advanced riding qualification -  Just interested to see who has done what and any views on if it's a good thing.  Particularly interested if you have no desire to do advanced training why not - is it the training vehicle (IAM or RoSPA) or is it just you do not believe that it does any good?

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:20:51 PM by Rocky the Dog »
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline On one wheel

• SX God
  • Rev it to the red bit
  • Bike: Speed Triple 94R
  • City / Town: Up North
Re: Advanced riding qualifications - who's got what
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
Just voted, I have passed the IAM test.
Owned over 100 bikes and still going!!

Rev it till the red bit, dump the clutch and enjoy.

Speedy 94 - wheeeellieee !!

Offline Steve58

• SX Master
  • Never Walk Backwards Of A Flat Roof
  • Bike: Z1000SX&Tiger
  • City / Town: Rochdale/Oldham
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »
Yes I have IAMs & Rospa & done 2 bike safe course's and hope to become an IAMs observer
I have also done the CBT instructor training.
To be honest I have had mixed reaction to it all when I've been asked or it's come up in conversation I still think there is a bit of stuffiness attached to it all but what I can say with certainty that while it will not make you infallible it doe's give you an edge and a better perception of the road and it's other user's, it teaches you to plan and think and to observe the road ,leave more time to decide how you are going to cope with a situation and of course in my opinion the Police are amongst the best riders out there as I found out when I thought I had lost him only to find he was all over me like a rash watching every move  made.
I enjoyed it all very much and would re-comend :002:

Offline Experience-Matters

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX (ebony)
  • City / Town: Vielsalm
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
Nothing is fool proof.

I don't have any of these qualifications (they don't exist here I guess).
I've learned all by books, video's and pratice.

On our last Sauerland trip, one of the biggest advanced motorycle trainers of Belgium rode behind me & told me I did everything more then OK.
More so, he was surprised I only rode 4 years (he thought 10)
I don't know exactly what his training was, but only 6 others have the same degrees as he in the full Benelux.
He also fully succeeded the training the motorcycle cops get, and gives trackday training as well.

The next day he crashed in our group, by a very stupid move, and his holiday was over.
If I'm fully honest, I did expect him to ride much safer. As I, and many others in our group, found he came too close while we rode spirited, and did some tricky passing maneuvers we wouldn't do ourselves due to being too dangerous.
In all honesty, we were a bit disappointed in his riding behavior. Especially for a guy with such credentials, who trained a few of the other riders in the group as well.

Don't ask me his credentials, company or name, I won't give it.
Stories like this could harm his reputation, so we keep it quiet.

Slow maneuvers are not my specialty, although I do OK, even offroad. I won't get a top 20 result in a Gymkhana however  :112:
I really like advanced training, and like how it helped some mates.
But I'm sure you could get similar results by self education and riding a lot with better riders.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:04:00 PM by Experience-Matters »
2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Ivans ECU + Full Akra + BMC & airbox mod + Valter Moto exh. hangers
Bitubo susp. front + rear, Brembo RCS19 + steel lines, Brembo pads + Rizoma reserv.
Lightech Rearsets, Rizoma sport grips, quicktrottle, short levers, Techspec snakeskin
Puig screen, Sargent seat, Rizoma tail tidy, Evotech Rad.Guard,
SW-Motech City tankbag + Evo tailbag + Aero cases + Eng. guards, Hepco & Becker sportsrack...

Offline napa121

• SX Master
  • City / Town: Sidcup/Kent
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:12:04 PM »
Yes IAM.

Horses for courses as Advanced riding is not for everyone but for me, it's the best thing I have done to date on two wheels (including Trackdays)

It has given me the tools to carry on learning and improving at my own pace.  A*

Offline chris zsx

• SX Member
  • City / Town: Dartford
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
IAM - qualified about 18months ago. Found the training could be quite rigid, keeping to the speed limits especially when everybody else wasn't!, was IMHO, at best frustrating for other drivers - bloody dangerous at worse!!  However..... Once qualified.... and riding with the observers/senior observers (ex police riders & trainers) is  eye opening! smooth and safe while 'making progress'. Learned more on a weeks holiday in France riding with them than I have in years of riding. I agree nothing will make you 100% safe (but motor cycling isn't and that perhaps one reason we all do it - calculated risks and all that) even if it teaches you what you already its not a bad thing - but no body knows everything and we can all learn something. I'd recommend a bikesafe day as an intro, and if you like that try the IAM - nothing to lose and you might just meet some great guys, who love to ride bikes.... 

Offline Bobdave

• SX Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:30:43 PM »
IAM test passed a few years ago. Biggest issue for me was breaking 30 years of bad habits, that said my observer said he always felt safe with me and enjoyed riding progressively with me but being honest when he went progressive I was just about hanging on not looking quite as smooth as him. He was a senior observer and a qualified motorcycle instructor for all levels of riders so was very skilled.
I don't ride much with the local group as I do find them a bit "stuffy" but I try to keep my planning and observations skills up to a good standard.

Offline little legs

• SX Junior
  • Bike: All of em
  • City / Town: Nelson
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 10:42:14 PM »
I was an IAM observer for quite a while and really enjoyed passing knowledge on to others . For me the best thing with any advanced driving or riding is the boost that you get with confidence. It certainly helped me when riding in the wet and adverse conditions.

Offline Steve58

• SX Master
  • Never Walk Backwards Of A Flat Roof
  • Bike: Z1000SX&Tiger
  • City / Town: Rochdale/Oldham
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:52:10 PM »
Chris Bobdave  little legs   :461  all the points you raise are good and as long as we realise that bikes are fantastic but the difference between disaster and a great time rest on a knife edge then we should I would hope be OK  :002:

Offline Lincsrider

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »
Having been away from bikes for 27 years, I felt I needed to do some form of training before I bought my Z1000SX. I had a commuter for 3 years and did my IAM 2 years ago, then bought my SX. The advanced training won't give you any guarantees of avoiding accidents, but a brilliant helmet costing 4 times as much as the course won't guarantee saving your life in a crash at 60 MPH or more either.  The Advanced course might just help prevent getting in to too many sticky situations and save the price of the helmet and the goods inside, though. 
2012 Black & Red Z1000SX ABS Tourer, Red Scorpion Cans, Tint Screen, Tony Archer Seat, colour coordinated Scorpion 1200 Exo Air helmet with Scala Q3 bluetooth comms

Recent Topics

expletive