Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Road test r1200rs se 2016  (Read 1893 times)

Offline R-GED-S

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW R1200RS SE
  • City / Town: Blackpool
Road test r1200rs se 2016
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »
Test rode a BMW r1200rs se today, just to see if it's in anyway a replacement for the sx, I list a few observations.

For
Super smooth over 30 mph, no vibe, silky smooth, handles exceptionally well and feels totally stable and at 90 mph its just cruising.
At slow speed its easy to balance and filter with. Gear box is smooth and not clunky, shifts are light and quick shifter works sort of. Seat is very comfy. I
Lots of nice toys, cruise works spot on, the torque from the engine is awesome and for only 125 bhp it is quick off the mark.

Against
Lots of vibe at tick over, under 20 mph when held at level speed it is lumpy and snatchy, ( dealer puts it down as me not being used to the fly by wire !! )
Even though the seat is lower than the sx I can only just get my toes on floor, ( width of machine and seat), but still balances easy with low centre of balance, it has digital speedy as well as needle speedo for us blind beggers, but you can't have a rev counter and digital speedo together.

Would I buy one, yes if the price was the same as an sx, ( including panniers ).

Ged
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:54:57 PM by S-Ged-X »
R1200RS Sport SE 2017

Offline Manic636

• SX Pro
  • Gadget Loving Bike Riding Idiot - Dont Judge Me
  • Bike: 2014 MEF
  • City / Town: Gloucestershire
Re: Road test r1200rs se 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »
I test rode it last year and TBH I really fell for the thing, ticks so many boxes but at the price just couldn't justify one although had the salesman had a go at closing me at the time I probably would have put a deposit down.. very serious competitor to the Z in so many ways but I'm so glad I got the Z

Offline R-GED-S

• SX God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:32:55 PM »
The one I was interested in to buy was an ex demo, but as a friend mentioned there is a lot of very very low mileage demo's, maybe as he said, the bikes are overpriced and thus dealers are using a different method to draw us in,  I did like it, if they had offered me the same deal as Kawasaki offered me in January when I changed sx's I would be looking for BMW panniers now.

Ged
R1200RS Sport SE 2017

Offline On one wheel

• SX God
  • Rev it to the red bit
  • Bike: Speed Triple 94R
  • City / Town: Up North
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 07:23:51 PM »
If you buy a Beemer Ged dont forget the Pipe and tweed smoking jacket  :008:
Owned over 100 bikes and still going!!

Rev it till the red bit, dump the clutch and enjoy.

Speedy 94 - wheeeellieee !!

Offline NoddyNinja

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2014 Black ABS
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:43:16 PM »

*Originally Posted by On one wheel [+]
:745:

Offline R-GED-S

• SX God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by On one wheel [+]

They have come a long way, as my riding buddy may testify its hard to keep up with on acceleration,

I have ordered the tweed and pipe on your recommendation and also the leotards.

Could be worse = buying an HD . :005:

I think I will stay with my sx till January.

Ged
R1200RS Sport SE 2017

Online Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:26 AM »
Ged - only suggestion is ride at least one more - you may have been lucky with the one you rode but the one I rode had the most awful clunky gearbox.  The 2 RT owners (same gearbox/engine) in our IAM Club do not like their gearboxes at all though that seems to be the only down side - along with the price of accessories which BM use as licence to print money.  Though other than that your comments are spot on.  However, I thought you still wanted to carry on working for a bit - just didn't think you were ready for the retired (though not retiring) image.

Rgds Steve
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline R-GED-S

• SX God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
Ged - only suggestion is ride at least one more - you may have been lucky with the one you rode but the one I rode had the most awful clunky gearbox.  The 2 RT owners (same gearbox/engine) in our IAM Club do not like their gearboxes at all though that seems to be the only down side - along with the price of accessories which BM use as licence to print money.  Though other than that your comments are spot on.  However, I thought you still wanted to carry on working for a bit - just didn't think you were ready for the retired (though not retiring) image.

Rgds Steve

Steve,
Gear change was not bad, the travel on the gear lever is further than the sx which is a shame, the slipper clutch helps a bit and the speed changer makes changes from 2 nd gear smooth, its hard to forget the clutch going up and down, throttle needs to be open to go up and closed to go down without clutch or it gets really clunky and jerky, takes a few miles to get the hang of.

Panniers, frame and top box £1000 for BM, same as for CBF ! Oh you get lowers with honka, bet BM stuff better quality though.
There's not much I would need for the SE apart from cylinder head protector's.

Ged
R1200RS Sport SE 2017

Offline psi1001

• SX Master
  • Bike: z1000sx
  • City / Town: basildon
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:17:04 AM »
I,ve got one and love it especially for touring, great bike
Keep it safe, keep it secure

Online Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 08:13:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by S-Ged-X [+]
Steve,
Gear change was not bad, the travel on the gear lever is further than the sx which is a shame, the slipper clutch helps a bit and the speed changer makes changes from 2 nd gear smooth, its hard to forget the clutch going up and down, throttle needs to be open to go up and closed to go down without clutch or it gets really clunky and jerky, takes a few miles to get the hang of.

Panniers, frame and top box £1000 for BM, same as for CBF ! Oh you get lowers with honka, bet BM stuff better quality though.
There's not much I would need for the SE apart from cylinder head protector's.

Ged

So the ultimate question - are you smitten enough to buy one ????
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Recent Topics

expletive