Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: spanners in the bin.....  (Read 2301 times)

Offline rcannon

• Ex Member
Re: spanners in the bin.....
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »
I'm a fairly competent mechanic and got most of the learning done when I was young....notice I said, "most".

Your phrase of "for some reason" hits home.     I decided it was a good idea to clean my dirt bike chain with its engine running.  Of course, I was half lit, but  felt like a good idea at the time.

The chain grabbed my index finger, and guided it through the rear sprocket.  I did not have the chain guide on so it went far enough that my wrist was upside down, finger stuck....

The engine died, which was a miracle. I had the idle set low enough.

I had to roll the wheel backwards to release it.

When I was e, I had a giant puncture through the nail, filled with dirt and chain lube.

Thats why my finger  appears to have a tattoo , under its nail surface....because, it really does!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:19:36 PM by rcannon »

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »
Ouch, that sounds painful. Reminds me of an incident I had when I was young (yes it was a long time ago  :822:) and lived in the Australian outback. I tripped and fell into the side of a generator kit and I put my hand out to save myself and it went into a v-belt and around one of the pulleys. 60 miles to nearest hospital with a broken thumb and severed finger. Not recommended.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
RC and MM, Two big OUCHES there!  :003:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline maccmike

• SX God
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
Mac never had you down as a TG 6.  Explains a lot - including the realisistic pragmatism. ☺

Okay, hold my hands up.  :027: Got the dictionary out for the 'realistic pragmatism' despite being an avid crossword lover but buggered if I can work out 'TG 6'. Please give me a clue.  :087:

Offline ceesam

• SX Pro
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

*Originally Posted by rcannon [+]

Your phrase of "for some reason" hits home.     I decided it was a good idea to clean my dirt bike chain with its engine running.  Of course, I was half lit, but  felt like a good idea at the time.

I did  the same when i was younger with a cloth and got lucky as the chain grabbed the cloth instead of me.  I still get a sick feeling when i think how that could have turned out.

Offline MADMITCH

• SX God
  • GRIP IT AND RIP IT
  • Bike: 13 Z1000sx
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »
Back when I was 16 I had a CB125 twin super dream which needed the piston rings replaced, now I was just finishing my second year for motor mechanics at college (you may think how at that age but I went to alternative education as I was a little shit but that's another story) so was fairly confident.  So I stripped it down and noticed that the bores and pistons was badly scored and needed replacing so bought a second hand head and pistons + rings as I was removing the gudgeon pin circlip it pinged and fired out somewhere could I hell find it, anyway not to worry as I had spares so finished up and put it altogether job went smooth with no problems "BRILLIANT" I thought, fired her up ran sweet, grabbed my lid and off I went it felt great had all of it's power back so the throttle ended up getting rung out like a dirty dish cloth  :430: as I was flying back from Scotland I was just about 10 mile away from home travelling flat on the tank, full speed the rear wheel locks up and puts me into the gutter "BASTARD" that hurt but was only a few cuts and bruises.  I picked the bike back up put it on its stand, unbelievably it was still running but noticed the gearbox was seized solid? got it home and stripped down to find the fault remember that gudgeon pin circlip I found it :oh_no:
I'm never perfect but I'm always genuine

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by maccmike [+]
Okay, hold my hands up.  :027: Got the dictionary out for the 'realistic pragmatism' despite being an avid crossword lover but buggered if I can work out 'TG 6'. Please give me a clue.  :087:

Trade Group 6 - RAF MT Technician.   
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by ceesam [+]
I did  the same when i was younger with a cloth and got lucky as the chain grabbed the cloth instead of me.  I still get a sick feeling when i think how that could have turned out.
I've heard a few similar incidents, one involving a mechanic who lost a couple of fingertips cleaning a bike chain, engine running and in gear.
Another "for some reason" moment was one I heard about through colleagues at work. A young lad had removed the sparkplug from his 50cc, stuck his finger down the hole, and pressed down on the kickstart, to feel the piston rising. Which it did, trapping his finger! His shouts for help summoned his Mum, who phoned the fire brigade to release it. I bet he didn't try that again  :002: 

Offline MADMITCH

• SX God
  • GRIP IT AND RIP IT
  • Bike: 13 Z1000sx
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 06:53:49 PM »
Had this happen to me index finger went right round rear sprocket while cleaning chain had a glove on was frightened to take it off incase finger stayed in it eventually built up courage to take it off whey hey still attached just, a bit superglue and insulation tape good as new
I'm never perfect but I'm always genuine

Offline maccmike

• SX God
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 08:58:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
Trade Group 6 - RAF MT Technician.

Doh - should have known that, reached the dizzy heights of Seargent M T Fitter and wish I'd have stayed in for the full 22 years.

Recent Topics