Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: spanners in the bin.....  (Read 2287 times)

Offline MADMITCH

• SX God
  • GRIP IT AND RIP IT
  • Bike: 13 Z1000sx
Re: spanners in the bin.....
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by maccmike [+]
Doh - should have known that, reached the dizzy heights of Seargent M T Fitter and wish I'd have stayed in for the full 22 years.

Wish I had joined up it's one of my biggest regrets I've got a lot of respect for anybody that served/serves in the armed forces was a DLI Army cadet for 4 years worked up to corporal and just finished my sergeant training course and was looking to join up as a engineer but took the wrong path in life
I'm never perfect but I'm always genuine

Offline madmic

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by MADMITCH [+]
Wish I had joined up it's one of my biggest regrets I've got a lot of respect for anybody that served/serves in the armed forces was a DLI Army cadet for 4 years worked up to corporal and just finished my sergeant training course and was looking to join up as a engineer but took the wrong path in life
Same here. Anyone who has served deserves respect IMHO.

Wish I'd joined. I watched it make a man out of a mate who flunked his exams as he was lazy and 'Daddy sorted everything'. Not this time pal! He now runs a hospital in Aus...

Different thread though    

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
Back on topic.................  :001:

Back in the 70s I had a friend with a lovely CB750. He decided to give the fuel lines and carbs a strip and clean. Whilst doing so he decided to have a fag.  :112:.............

A short while later the fire brigade had doused his bike which was a burnt out wreck on his parents front lawn - the burnt patch stayed there for ages.. He also had no eyebrows and a really weird hair style.  He never lived it down.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by MADMITCH [+]
Back when I was 16 I had a CB125 twin super dream which needed the piston rings replaced, now I was just finishing my second year for motor mechanics at college (you may think how at that age but I went to alternative education as I was a little shit but that's another story) so was fairly confident.  So I stripped it down and noticed that the bores and pistons was badly scored and needed replacing so bought a second hand head and pistons + rings as I was removing the gudgeon pin circlip it pinged and fired out somewhere could I hell find it, anyway not to worry as I had spares so finished up and put it altogether job went smooth with no problems "BRILLIANT" I thought, fired her up ran sweet, grabbed my lid and off I went it felt great had all of it's power back so the throttle ended up getting rung out like a dirty dish cloth  :430: as I was flying back from Scotland I was just about 10 mile away from home travelling flat on the tank, full speed the rear wheel locks up and puts me into the gutter "BASTARD" that hurt but was only a few cuts and bruises.  I picked the bike back up put it on its stand, unbelievably it was still running but noticed the gearbox was seized solid? got it home and stripped down to find the fault remember that gudgeon pin circlip I found it :oh_no:
Ouch! Less dramatic, but same idea, I had a mechanic mate round, showing me how to set the valve clearances on an old Suzuki I had ( GSX 550 EF, I think) We had a set of tiny spanners, ideal for the tappets, but clumsy oaf here dropped one, right down into the engine. Couple of hours job became an all day event, trying all methods to get it out. At one point we were planning to tip the whole bike upside down and shake it out, but a bit of magnet, a wire coathanger and a bit of luck got it out. Finished the job with a bit of string tied round the tiny spanner, in case it went back in  :002:

Recent Topics