Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Akroprovics  (Read 4259 times)

Offline DA1970

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 17 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Swindon
Akroprovics
« on: April 29, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
I just had Carbon Akros fitted on my 2017 sx direct from Kawasaki dealer. Forgive me for being stupid, but I can't seem to see a way of removing baffles? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Akroprovics
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
DA1970, as many are finding (myself included) these are EURO4 compliant which means baffles are FIXED and NOT REMOVABLE by design.

Its thought you may be able to dremell the blanking tab out then drill into the baffle to make it removable, but this is so far only a thought. No one on here has yet taken the plunge to find out what method has b changed n used to make these non removable.  (one member knows someone who has successfully converted these into removable baffle Akrapovics but doesn't know exactly how)

Offline Ackers

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 SX Orange
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »
I pick my bike up on Tuesday and asked the dealer if they could look into removing them for me so I guess I'll find out then?

Pro

Offline Ackers

• SX Member
Akroprovics
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
I've had a quick look on Akrapovics website, they list the cans for 16 and 17 models with exploded diagrams and parts list. They both share the same parts apart from the 17 not having removable baffles so if you can get them out and theres no way of refitting them (if you should so wish) then I don't see why you couldn't order a set of 16 baffles to put back in there?

Pro

Offline DA1970

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
Ok, that's a real pain in the rear. I wish my dealer had pointed that out as I would have bought and fitted myself. That is just another thing on the list that Blade Kawasaki in Swindon as let me down on. I will never spend another penny with that dealer. Services and the like like will be done elsewhere. I also asked them about tamper proof bolt that needs removing to fit R & G tail tidy, they didn't even know it was there and are not prepared to help undo it. Don't even get me started on how dirty it was when I collected it.
Shocking
Shocking service.

Offline Ackers

• SX Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 11:10:40 PM »
Looking at Scotty's pic you can see 3 layers of metal. 3 is the exhaust tube, 2 looks like it's the baffle and 1 is a piece that covers the bolt/rivet that's holding int baffle in.

Don't know how 1 is held in place (you can see it coming away in places) but if you can get that out then it will give a clearer access to the bolt/rivet holding the baffle in?

Offline DA1970

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 02:32:44 AM »
That's interesting, will have a good closer look at mine. Thanks for the info and picture.

Offline Ackers

• SX Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 07:42:13 AM »
I suspect pieces 2 and 3 are exactly the same as the 2016 cans that have removable baffles, it's just piece 1 that has been put in there to stop you removing them? It wouldn't surprise if when you got that out you'd find a bolt behind there you just unscrew just like the '16 cans?

Pro

Offline DA1970

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »
Mmmm but how to remove that piece, looks tricky.

Offline Stoper

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »
Looks like they have put a trim piece over the top, is there still a robber grommet in the outer of the carbon fibre trim? You used to remove this put an Allen key into bolt head through the hole and an 8mm spanner on the nut. They put a spot weld on as a "anti removal device" but it easily snapped off. Picture of how mine looked from new.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:12:21 AM by Stoper »
Steve

Recent Topics