Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Akroprovics  (Read 4274 times)

Offline DA1970

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 17 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Swindon
Re: Akroprovics
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »
Hi, no there is no grommet on the outside at all. Looks like I will have to live with it.

Online Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
There is a gromit (one circled on the pic, whether it's taken welded or not no one knows, there may be a retaining nut or something under the 1st section of metal shown in the same pic but no one as yet has attempted to prise that out.

On the 2016 Akrapovic there is not that cover section of metal on the baffle, it's possible that something is being hidden or covered under there that will assist in making the baffle removable. but as yet no one has had the big ones (including myself) to start tearing into it incase the baffle ends up destroyed and finding that removing that section doesn't do anything.

Offline MADMITCH

• SX God
  • GRIP IT AND RIP IT
  • Bike: 13 Z1000sx
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
come on guys just drill the bloody rivet out or take it to a metal shop if you want the baffle removed then just use a self tapper bolt to reinstall I really cant see Akrapovic changing very expensive tooling/presses because of a bolt to keep the baffle in so they will be the same as the rest apart from a rivet instead of a bolt :164:
I'm never perfect but I'm always genuine

Offline DAC

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
Look forward to hearing what your dealer says Ackers.

Offline Wobbly

• SX God
  • City / Town: Dundee
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
Akrapovic exhausts like most others can be dismantled for repacking. Just drill the rivets out, I'm sure there's a video on YouTube somewhere. You can buy repacking kits too.
Be easy to get the baffles then no ?

Offline Broseley

• SX Pro
  • 2014 Z100SX ABS Tourer
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2014
  • City / Town: Broseley, Salop
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 07:33:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by DA1970 [+]
I just had Carbon Akros fitted on my 2017 sx direct from Kawasaki dealer. Forgive me for being stupid, but I can't seem to see a way of removing baffles? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Please forgive me for perhaps being a bit slow on the uptake here but why exactly do you want to remove the baffles?
Surely the exhaust won't be road legal without them.
Is there any benefit apart from the noise level?  :187:
2014 Z1000SX ABS TOURER, Michelin PR4's, Puig Light Tint Screen, Sargent Seat, Scottoiler, R&G Heated Grips, Bagster Tank Cover.

Offline Ackers

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 SX Orange
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 07:45:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Broseley [+]
Is there any benefit apart from the noise level?  :187:

Not really no, but if I wanted the bike to sound like a wet fart I'd had stuck with the stock pipes and saved a grand?

Offline Broseley

• SX Pro
  • 2014 Z100SX ABS Tourer
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2014
  • City / Town: Broseley, Salop
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
 :828:
So just to make sure I've got this right, it goes something like this.......

You don't like the stock exhaust so you spend over £1000 of your hard earned cash on some fancy replacement exhausts - I get that....

Then you don't like the way the expensive replacements sound so you start hacking bits out of them making them non-road legal in the process (MOT ?) - I get that too.....

Why not spend your £1000 on an exhaust you do like the sound of in the first place?....That's the bit I don't understand......
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:14:26 AM by Broseley »
2014 Z1000SX ABS TOURER, Michelin PR4's, Puig Light Tint Screen, Sargent Seat, Scottoiler, R&G Heated Grips, Bagster Tank Cover.

Online Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Broseley [+]
:828:
So just to make sure I've got this right, it goes something like this.......

You don't like the stock exhaust so you spend over £1000 of your hard earned cash on some fancy replacement exhausts - I get that....

Then you don't like the way the expensive replacements sound so you start hacking bits out of them making them non-road legal in the process (MOT ?) - I get that too.....

Why not spend your £1000 on an exhaust you do like the sound of in the first place?....That's the bit I don't understand......

I don't think anyone has been made aware these are non removable baffles, they like me only found out when they were fitted and went to remove the baffle.

Offline Ackers

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 SX Orange
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
Akroprovics
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
1. I like the look of the Akropovics
2. Want exhausts compatible with the panniers (many aren't?)
3. The '16 baffles were removable, take them out sound nice (not offensively loud) put them back in and pass MOT. It appears the only difference with the 17 pipes is they have put a cover plate in to stop access to the bolt that allows you to take them out. Remove that and all's good?
4. It's the cheapest way to purchase the exhausts, they are over a grand on their own, without then adding the seat cowl and screen.
5. I'll keep the stock pipes as well so if need be I can always just pop them on for MOT, same as I have always done with previous race cans?
6. For many/most the dealer didn't mention that the baffles are fixed in on the '17 models, had they been aware they probably would have looked at other options.

I knew they were fixed in from lurking around on here but figured I should be able to easily find a way around it so continued with the order of them for the reasons above. :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:14:07 AM by Ackers »

Recent Topics