Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First long trip on z1000sx imminent. NC500??  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Member
Re: First long trip on z1000sx imminent. NC500??
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Alzie [+]
I've done lots of 2 and 3 day trips on bikes in Scotland ( and occasionally into England too) but this will be my first time on the z1000sx, and we're toying with following the NC500 route. I'm wondering if anyone has done it recently, and how long they allowed for the whole trip. I'm 100 miles away from Inverness so it's a 700 mile total trip, hoping to find a balance between mile-munching and stopping to see some sights ( and rest the weary legs  :002: )
[/q

Hi i did it a few years ago coming up from yorkshire the long way, 1st night at Hawick, 2nd Rogart, then right over the top east to west staying at Inchree and Inchnadamph.   Tha last 2 had drying room which can be handy ooop there.

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 10:30:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by hogi [+]
I'm away this Saturday for a week, going anti clockwise with a couple of nights on Skye.

Have done it several times (from before the NC500 title existed) and loved it everytime in rain and shine. Which we are likely to get next week!!

East coast doesn't compare to the west but pretty enough if considered on its own merits. Nice to compare the difference between the two.

This is the first time on the Sx and am hoping the Tony Archer seat does the job. :001:

Very wet on East coast the past couple of days, guessing its much the same over on the West and North? I turned down a trip to the Lake District this weekend, and it sounds like the decent weather is there so far. My mistake :-(

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dartagnan [+]
I've done lots of 2 and 3 day trips on bikes in Scotland ( and occasionally into England too) but this will be my first time on the z1000sx, and we're toying with following the NC500 route. I'm wondering if anyone has done it recently, and how long they allowed for the whole trip. I'm 100 miles away from Inverness so it's a 700 mile total trip, hoping to find a balance between mile-munching and stopping to see some sights ( and rest the weary legs  :002: )
[/q

Hi i did it a few years ago coming up from yorkshire the long way, 1st night at Hawick, 2nd Rogart, then right over the top east to west staying at Inchree and Inchnadamph.   Tha last 2 had drying room which can be handy ooop there.

Yes there's definitely benefits to accommodation with a drying room, but it's amazing how much bike gear can be stuffed around a single radiator in a B&B bedroom  :002:

Offline hogi

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 02:58:00 AM »
Very wet on East coast the past couple of days, guessing its much the same over on the West and North? I turned down a trip to the Lake District this weekend, and it sounds like the decent weather is there so far. My mistake :-(

We've had a proper drenching from Braemar to Tomintoul and have our gear on the radiators  :002:  Not wishing to tempt fate but its looking drier as the week progresses. It's the best we can hope for in Sept. Maybe you can change your plans and get to the lakes? There won't be too many opportunities left this year??
Fazer 600, Triumph Sprint 885, Fazer 1000, z1000sx

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by hogi [+]
We've had a proper drenching from Braemar to Tomintoul and have our gear on the radiators  :002:  Not wishing to tempt fate but its looking drier as the week progresses. It's the best we can hope for in Sept. Maybe you can change your plans and get to the lakes? There won't be too many opportunities left this year??

Hogi you're right, sadly its maybe the last chance this year  :003:. Good luck with the rest of your trip. 

Offline hogi

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »
Cheers Alzie, got to Durness today only a spit and spot but mostly dry, hooray. Felt humbled at JoG seeing all the pedallists finishing their trip from lands end 960 miles in 9 days. Kudos to the lycra boys 👍
Fazer 600, Triumph Sprint 885, Fazer 1000, z1000sx

Recent Topics