Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Air Temperature Gauge  (Read 1306 times)

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
Air Temperature Gauge
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »
Hi all,

I was really surprised to find out when testing the SX it didn't have ambient temperature on the display (2016). I'm so used to glancing at the temp on my VFR800 that I'll quite miss it. Has anyone had success fitting a digital (possibly backlit) one at all? I've had a browse on eBay and can see some rather expensive ones that need wiring up, and plenty of handlebar chrome traditional types, but nothing has really floated my boat yet.

I searched here and no one seems to have mentioned it really, does it not bother people? Unless of course my searching is naff!

I know you can just glance out the window, check your phone etc, but perhaps I like it for bragging rights?! "It was -4 on the motorway this morning!" and "I was stuck in London traffic, in full riding gear in 35 degrees today!"

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Air Temperature Gauge
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
Nrps, for about £9.5k you can get one in built, it also comes with gear change indicator, current gear indicator, nice led headlights an improved traction control system better wind protection.

If you were to part x your current bike it will be cheaper   :008:

If your not worried about looks and want functionality have a look at digital temp gauges for vivariums, lcd screen long temp wire that you can locate where you like, battery operated and on 24/7 (battery lasts over a year)

Offline zx9landie

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2011 z1000sz
  • City / Town: Frimley
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
being as my triumph explorer riding mate's said 36 deg in france whilst another riding mate's Duc said 31 deg within 40 yards on the same bit of france in may - personally I'm not a fan !

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scotty001 [+]
Nrps, for about £9.5k you can get one in built, it also comes with gear change indicator, current gear indicator, nice led headlights an improved traction control system better wind protection.

If you were to part x your current bike it will be cheaper   :008:

If your not worried about looks and want functionality have a look at digital temp gauges for vivariums, lcd screen long temp wire that you can locate where you like, battery operated and on 24/7 (battery lasts over a year)

Ha, the new 2017 has external temp?

I actually have shrimp tanks and vivariums with temp sensors, but those big things are no use on a svelte machine!

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »
Yeah the 2017 has an external temp gauge built in. Temp is  displayed on the dash

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »
Don't see the point myself. I watch the news and weather before I leave in the morning, then look out the window before I leave the office in the evening!  :008:
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by zx9landie [+]
being as my triumph explorer riding mate's said 36 deg in france whilst another riding mate's Duc said 31 deg within 40 yards on the same bit of france in may - personally I'm not a fan !

Ah, dodgy bikes, can't rely on those! ;)

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Don't see the point myself. I watch the news and weather before I leave in the morning, then look out the window before I leave the office in the evening!  :008:

I guess it is just getting into the mindset really. As I often tell my boss, time exists, but only on your wrists...

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scotty001 [+]
Yeah the 2017 has an external temp gauge built in. Temp is  displayed on the dash

Dag nam it, I got the wrong bike! ;)

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »
I've also been looking for a while now and have not found anything that I like.  :003:

It can be useful on those rides where the temp drops suddenly and you want to know about the possibility of icy roads, I agree it's also fun to have for those high temps.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Recent Topics