Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hugger Extender 2017 (How To)  (Read 602 times)

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Hugger Extender 2017 (How To)
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
My Hugger Extender for the 2017 arrived today, Figured id do a little how to.

This is the Pyramid Hugger Extender for the 2017 Z1000SX.
Removing the hugger from the bike was easier than i expected, There are 3 Hex bolts and 2 pop pins that need to be removed to free the hugger from the bike. In order to access the pop pins you need to move the rear brake assembly out of the way (4 bolts)

Tools needed / Used were 1x long reach H5 & 1x Long Reach H6 with Ball Ends & 1x H2 to push the pop rivet in. 2x clamps (I used 4x 3inch spring clamps from screwfix at £3.99 a pair, to be honest the 2inch ones would be fine and the 3inch ones are very very very strong.

Instructions that came with extender

Step 1 -
REMOVAL OF HUGGER

Use the H5 to undo the 2 Hex bolts on the RHS by the exhaust (using the long reach tool i didnt need to remove the exhaust.

Step 2
undo the 4 Hex bolts holding the rear brake assembly to the bike (2 Silver & 2 Black) you may get away with not removing the black ones but i already had

Step 3
Pull the brake assembly back a little to give access to the 2x pop rivets and using the H2 push the centers in to release the hugger from the frame
[/url]

Step 4
Undo the Hex bolt on the RHS holding the rear brake line & Hugger to the swingarm
(sorry no pic)

With all bolts removed you can now pull the hugger from the rear of the bike

Step 5 -
PREPARATION
Once you have offered up the loose hugger & extender (just to make sure they fit) you need to clean both sections that will be in contact so there is no dirt, once done using the 150grit sandpaper provided Key both areas that will be used to bond one to the other
by

Step 6
The video tutorial said about using decorator tape to mask off the edges of the Hugger and extender so any loose glue (caused when clamping) doesn't get onto the plastic parts. I didn't have any decorator tape but plenty of Electrical tape so.....

[/url] 

Step 7
Re clean both sections to be bonded again with warm soapy water then dry, Once dry Use the alcohol wipe provided to clean out all keyed areas that will be used for Bonding.

Step 8
I used the Pyramid bonding glue but others are available, The online instruction advised to NOT take the glue all the way up to the lip and leave a gap.

Step 9
After leaving the glue to initiate its bonding for 4 mins (per the instructions for this glue) offer the hugger and extender up to each other and press together, When they are in the right "groves" use clamps to clamp them together, (the video tutorial said to clamp the edges and use a weight to press down on the center, I had another 2 clamps so used those too for extra help towards the center

Step 10
Tidy up your mess, Boil the kettle and have a cuppa, It takes aprox 4hrs for the initial strong bonding and total of 24hrs to be fully cured. After 24hrs, remove the masking, and any bit of glue that may have creep-ed out with a sharp blade, Then install your hugger with extender back on the bike.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:38:31 PM by Scotty001 »

Offline NoddyNinja

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2014 Black ABS
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Re: Hugger Extender 2017 (How To)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
 :460:

Offline ed

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 12:11:18 AM »
Thanks Scotty - that's a really useful post. I've been wondering about buying one of these for a while. Is there any chance that you could post a picture of it after you've refitted it to your bike, to show what the end result looks like?

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:58:54 AM »
The Hugger and Extender have now cured. When re fitting i found that you only need to remove the 2 Silver Hex bolts on the rear brake assembly to move it out of the way, so the Black bolts can just stay in place. Re fitting took all of 5 Minutes (if that)

Here's how it looks

After this pic was taken i trimmed out some of the glue from the seam so it looks a little neater up close.

This is how it looks on the bike

Left Hand View

Right Hand Close

Right Hand long

View from behind

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »
Nice job & great write up  :028:

It really does extend it well. I'd be interested to see some pics if you wet ride, showing us your spring area  :440:

:031:
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
No problem at all MDR, Im a year round rider come shine rain or snow. Its raining now but i fancy a relaxing day, I am however out on the bike over the weekend and it will be raining so will get some pics. When i removed the hugger to install the extender the spring was rather clean to be honest, i think the standard hugger does a good job, im hoping this will give a little extra protection to the spring and also to the key slot for the pillion seat / solo cowl.

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
I see they have filled the big slot that was in the earlier OEM hugger which will help keep a lot of the crap of the shock.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
Keep an eye on it, I fitted the hugger using Pyramids glue and it failed on the first ride! I followed the instructions exactly and even left it to cure for the full 24 hours.

Mine is now secured with three black nuts and bolts.  :003:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline JMW

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX ABS TOUR
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
Cheers, Off the back of this ive just ordered one. I will be using araldite to glue mine as per the front and ones ive fitted in the past.
2017 TOURER AS PREVIOUS>>W/O Evotech
2014 Z1000SX ABS TOURER METALIC GRAPHITE GREY, COVERED IN R&G, LACED WITH EVOTECH AND WRAPPED IN DARK PUIG....
2012 SX TOURER

Offline L2RKE

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX Touring
  • City / Town: BURY ST EDMUNDS
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »
I agree nice write up.......but
When I fitted my pyramid extender I simply purchased a 90 degree drill attachment and fitted it with the hugger in place. :002:
Mods so far..Sargent seat.Akrapovic Carbon End cans.Fenda and Hugger extenda's.  Satnav mount. Acc. power socket.

Recent Topics