Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SX wind protection  (Read 1344 times)

Offline deckitout

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
SX wind protection
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »
I haven't manage to get a test ride yet but was wondering what the wind protection is like of the SX. I have had a few bikes (1050 Tigersport which gave me quite a bit of buffeting).

I am 6ft 1 and would like to hear from other owners as to what if any wind noise there is on the SX or if they have needed to use a larger screen

Thanks

Offline NoddyNinja

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2014 Black ABS
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Re: SX wind protection
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »
I'm 6' 1" and don't find buffeting a problem, normally ride with screen in lowest position. In wet weather on motorway usually put on highest position to keep some of the rain off (+ lower speed).
IMO lid makes a difference mine is a Shoei NXR

Offline deckitout

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
Thanks

I have eliminated the helmet as it only happens on certain bikes, yet to ride the SX but hoping it works for me

Online keithzx

• SX Member
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »
I HAVE THE 2017 sx . I'm  5ft 8in, only done 330 miles ,and only managed 70 mph, but know that I am going to need a better screen for protection , over 55 mph with the screen on the highest setting it is starting to get a bit blowy, so looking for a screen , I had the v stream on my last bmw k 16 ,  you could ride at any speed with no issues at all, the standard bmw k 16 gt sport screen was a waste of time , the v stream changed the k 16 from a good bike to a great bike .  at present there are no v stream's available for the 2017 model's, hanging on for them coming out .

Offline phantomx0_1

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by deckitout [+]
I haven't manage to get a test ride yet but was wondering what the wind protection is like of the SX. I have had a few bikes (1050 Tigersport which gave me quite a bit of buffeting).

I am 6ft 1 and would like to hear from other owners as to what if any wind noise there is on the SX or if they have needed to use a larger screen

Thanks

This is my first sports tourer. Personally i thin the protection is VERY POOR and loads worse than i was expecting. Wind noise is bad even adjusting the screen. Screen eeds a better design and to be bigger. Im only 5'7" so u may find it worse!

Offline deckitout

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by keithzx [+]
I HAVE THE 2017 sx . I'm  5ft 8in, only done 330 miles ,and only managed 70 mph, but know that I am going to need a better screen for protection , over 55 mph with the screen on the highest setting it is starting to get a bit blowy, so looking for a screen , I had the v stream on my last bmw k 16 ,  you could ride at any speed with no issues at all, the standard bmw k 16 gt sport screen was a waste of time , the v stream changed the k 16 from a good bike to a great bike .  at present there are no v stream's available for the 2017 model's, hanging on for them coming out .

thanks, guess I need to ride one, it does appear to be rider specific

Online Zen56

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 SX
  • City / Town: Todmorden
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 10:32:16 PM »
Also have the 2017 model, I am 5'8" and normally ride with screen on lowest setting. On the highest setting the buffeting is worse, tried it a couple of times but didn't feel right.
As I don't ride in wet weather (unless I get caught out) it's not really a problem as I don't need the extra protection!!

Online Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 10:34:04 PM »
Definitely rider specific, I'm 6'6 and I find no major wind buffering issues. But that could because I'm used to naked and bikes not geared towards touring which are  more accustomed to wind protection. To me this bike has the best wind protection I've had on prev bikes (bandit, thundercat,  sprint rs, sv1000)  I often ride at motorway speeds and for me personally I  cant complain.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 01:11:37 AM »
I've had the 2013 and 2016 models, 5'10". Highest screen setting was/is the worse for making progress. Mine is always on the mid setting - oh, the Puig screen made a difference.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Online Whyscotty

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Black Z1000SX 17
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
6'2" on a 17, highest setting for me provides decent protection.

Recent Topics

expletive