Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handling question  (Read 581 times)

Offline Paul1606

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Wrexham
Handling question
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
Hi not had the bike long done about 1500miles so far
The issue is the bike feels really nervous & seems to want to track on road surface changes noticeably more on tar strips & even small ruts is this a trait of the sx I'll have to live with? Or is it just simply down to tyres or suspension set up currently running on Bridgestone bt's  that aren't squared off
Thought I'd post before having a suspension tweek if it's just looking like it's down to tyres I'll live with it until they are at the end of thier life then change them for a different brand
Thanks in advance

Online Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
Re: Handling question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »
Worth having a play with your suspension ( http://z1000sx.co.uk/index.php/topic,8675.0.html) anyway as a properly set up bike is a much nicer thing to ride.  however the characteristics you mention (providing of course the pressures are correct) sound very much to be all tyre related - especially the tendency to tram-line.   If I was you - I would have them off and put some decent rubber on - depends how much you want the bike to feel right.

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:42:03 PM by Rocky the Dog »
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »
Assuming tyre pressures are OK and you've not got a loose headstock, it's the tyres - do a search and you will find plenty about this.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
I d start with the suspension, just go by the handbook, stiff i find too stiff and soft too soft so i simply worked out the mean difference ( half way point and it suits me.

Offline Paul1606

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies tyre pressures are ok as I checked this out first
Just didn't want to delve too far into it if it was a common sx thing will go down the suspension route I think after some of the suggestions
I'll change the tyres as a last resort due to other people running them with no issues
It's a weird one to me as the bike turns & handles a treat on even nice surfaces even when pushed
But I will also check the headstock as suggested

Offline Paul1606

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
Ah on further searching people do seem to have the same issues with the Bridgestones I'll set up the suspension first me thinks then ditch the rubber

Online maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
Common symptoms with the OEM rubber. Different bike with some decent tyres on, Michelin PR4, Pirelli Angel GT or Metzler Roadtec 01 are some of the most popular and all will change the feel of the SX positively.

Offline Gregr

• SX Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:11:55 PM »
Most likely the Bridgestones, as others have said a common complaint. I tried a few things but couldn't iron out the tramlining or vague front end feel so junked the oe tyres at about 800 miles. Put a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's, really improved the bike and so far have lasted well for my riding conditions and have life left in than with nearly 5000 miles.

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
I've found that mine feels the same when the tyres still have life in them and aren't squared off. Could have probably legally got another 500 - 1000 miles out of my rear but feels so much better with fresh rubber so if they are anywhere near the marks then get them swapped and see how it feels.

Online KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2014 Z1000SX MEF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »
As every one has put it kindly .... TYRES !!!

The front Bridgestone S20 tyre is absolutely SH*T.

That will be your problem if the pressures are right.

Change them.
Regards David.

Recent Topics