No advanced training but would like to/or am intending do some
10 (26.3%)
No interest - Advance qualifications are not for me
5 (13.2%)
Currently and IAM Associate,  RoSPA Student or on other Course
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: May 02, 2016, 07:57:12 PM

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advanced riding qualifications - who's got what  (Read 17052 times)

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
Re: Advanced riding qualifications - who's got what
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 12:09:27 AM »
Just as an add on to my original question.  I am an active IAM observer and also coordinate BikeSafe with the Met Police for a variety of Service personnel and I am interested in what make people do Advanced trg and more importantly what puts them off.   Partialy as I would like to try and find a way of engaging with those who are not interested and believe it's not either necessary or fun.   As an aside I raced on the roads for a bit in the TZ days when younger and have ridden in a variety of guises since then.   I used to think I knew it all and was quite dismissive of training until about 7 years ago when I did a BikeSafe  (just to see what it was all about) followed up by IAM.   I learnt much about Road craft and honestly believe that it has made me a safer rider as a consequence.   Unfortunately the Services see too many young people injured due to motorcycle accidents,  primarily due to overconfidence and lack of experience and we have a higher rate of accidents overall when compared to the civilian population. I'm just trying to get my head round the whys and why nots so any input even negative feedback is welcomed..  If you haven't done it please let me know why not and even if you don't want to post on the Forum then feel free to PM me.   I'm just trying to figure out how to help those who don't necessarily engage in the whole advanced training thing.

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:12:29 AM by Rocky the Dog »
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline Experience-Matters

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX (ebony)
  • City / Town: Vielsalm
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 12:45:12 AM »
When I was still living in the populated area, Flanders, and I just started biking, there was a big interest in following the advanced trainings.

But after moving to twisties land, that kinda disappeared over time. The only course that still interested me was advanced cornering weekends, as you get a holiday combined with feedback & courses.
I popped up the question again to the owner of the school, who joined us on the Sauerland trip, if I would still learn a lot on his courses.
He said it would be minimal with what he had seen. He suggested I followed training to join as an instructor (seems there is a lack of instructors here).

I'm a self learner by trade (my professional activities force me to learn almost everything by books etc, as I can't follow many expert courses here in UX.
When I started riding, I bought 4 books on defensive riding, and learned by DVD as well (twist of the wrist).
I took the advice of the books by heart, tried to really understand motorcycle physics ... and well got in a lot of situations that gave me experience in it. (sliding wheels, tightening turns, cars on my lane, mud on middle of corners etc ...).
I also rode the past 3 years with riders that are way more experienced then me, some who where instructors themselves. I still sometimes ask where I can improve & follow their advice.
But I think most of all, I got into some defensive riding habbits in the twisties, that kept me safe till now, when riding at higher speeds.
And by covering a lot of miles here, they just improve.

I don't consider myself a good rider, just above average. (I compare myself to a few very good riders I know)
But others seem to say I am, especially considering I'm only riding 4 years.
I don't mind following courses, I'd even paying for them a hefty price ... but I want to be sure that it is money well spent.
And until now, I had three instructors who said there was not so much to learn for me anymore, not for the price of these courses. 

This counts for the kind of riding I do.
I never had real training in off road, or gymkhana stuff, but that interests me also a lot less for the time being.

I'm not suggesting I can't learn a lot more, far from it, I still learn every ride & tweak my riding style, or try different styles & techniques.
But as I understood, it is enough for me to just follow regular advice of instructors who join my rides, then to take a full course of which I already know 90%.
And for next year there will be more of them, as I'm making the routes for a few of their weekends.

The only courses that really interest me for the moment are advanced trackday courses. The stuff you learn in the Motovudu DVD's etc ...
But for that I can count for free on some trackday instructor friends who just follow & advice me a few sessions.

I'm not against courses at all.
I regularly advice them to others.
2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Ivans ECU + Full Akra + BMC & airbox mod + Valter Moto exh. hangers
Bitubo susp. front + rear, Brembo RCS19 + steel lines, Brembo pads + Rizoma reserv.
Lightech Rearsets, Rizoma sport grips, quicktrottle, short levers, Techspec snakeskin
Puig screen, Sargent seat, Rizoma tail tidy, Evotech Rad.Guard,
SW-Motech City tankbag + Evo tailbag + Aero cases + Eng. guards, Hepco & Becker sportsrack...

Offline MADMITCH

• SX God
  • GRIP IT AND RIP IT
  • Bike: 13 Z1000sx
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 07:14:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
Just as an add on to my original question.  I am an active IAM observer and also coordinate BikeSafe with the Met Police for a variety of Service personnel and I am interested in what make people do Advanced trg and more importantly what puts them off.   Partialy as I would like to try and find a way of engaging with those who are not interested and believe it's not either necessary or fun.   As an aside I raced on the roads for a bit in the TZ days when younger and have ridden in a variety of guises since then.   I used to think I knew it all and was quite dismissive of training until about 7 years ago when I did a BikeSafe  (just to see what it was all about) followed up by IAM.   I learnt much about Road craft and honestly believe that it has made me a safer rider as a consequence.   Unfortunately the Services see too many young people injured due to motorcycle accidents,  primarily due to overconfidence and lack of experience and we have a higher rate of accidents overall when compared to the civilian population. I'm just trying to get my head round the whys and why nots so any input even negative feedback is welcomed..  If you haven't done it please let me know why not and even if you don't want to post on the Forum then feel free to PM me.   I'm just trying to figure out how to help those who don't necessarily engage in the whole advanced training thing.

Rgds Steve
Well Steve my opinion is that the economy and new licence laws is where the problems lie.  Young riders can't afford to do extra training considering they have to do so many tests now just to get a licence and then have to pay extortionate insurance prices then all there gear and most jobs nowadays are not giving a liveable wage last thing they want is to pay for any more training plus I don't think they like the idea of ex police giving them training as really the only time you meet a police officer is when your getting locked up or issued a fine, now if it was Shakey Burn or John Mcguinniess giving the training there would be a different turn out.
I'm never perfect but I'm always genuine

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Long story short = from 14 - 19 I rode EVERYTHING I could cock my leg over (No licence  :192: ) and eventually had a pretty bad crash!  :184:

23 years later......2012 my wife  :037: knowing I loved them, suggested I get another bike to help with my.....mood/daily commute of the previous 12 years; with one proviso - I MUST take some kind of advanced training after passing my test :211:

So 3 day DAS, then immediately signed up for the SFL package and the rest is history!  :002:

The biggest surprise for me was what I was not seeing/aware of on the road. I found it a real eye opener. Progressive riding is usually much quicker than ego riding when practiced correctly - and most importantly, SAFER!

I now hold a seat on the committee of my local group and we do our best to advise & look after others in the CAMBS/Peterborough area, who are like minded and willing to admit, there is always something more to learn.
We hold skills days, both fast & slow and try to attend the BSB School once a year, among various other social events.

I personally try to get on a couple of track days a year (Still have a little speed demon I need to keep satisfied!  :164:  :745:) Have attended the Chris Walker school (wish he'd re-open that!) also the Haslam school; not as good (IMO!) also did the Mick Extance experience for a bit of off road...

I consider every day a learning experience and love the smile that comes from starting my days on 2 wheels!  :830:  :820:
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

Offline On one wheel

• SX God
  • Rev it to the red bit
  • Bike: Speed Triple 94R
  • City / Town: Up North
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
I took my IAM test nearly 20 years ago after riding bikes on the road/dirt and track contiguously from 16 years old.
I somehow managed to make it to 33 years old god knows how due to riding like a total spanner for years losing a couple of mates along the way, i was pushed into racing by my mates to get me off the road as i was riding way way to fast, I also met a guy out whilst riding who screamed past me on a KR1S (i was on a CBR 600) and made me look slow, he was soooo smooth in the bends, we stopped and had a chat afterwards, he said i was a brave, had bike control and had balls but didn't have a clue how to ride fast and safe on the road and offered to teach me how to ride on the road so we spent a few weekends going out and he transformed my riding, this opened my mind up to taking more training and i advise any and all to take all the training you can get your hands on.
I also think that you need to get off road on a bike to learn machine control and not be too worried about the odd wobble or slide when it happens on the road.
My IAM observers gave me a few tips during the observed runs and i picked up a couple of things, you never stop learning on a bike so get out in all weathers and experience all types of road surfaces.
Just as a quickie when did you last practice a full on emergency stop on your bike to see how you react?
Owned over 100 bikes and still going!!

Rev it till the red bit, dump the clutch and enjoy.

Speedy 94 - wheeeellieee !!

Offline kwacky

• SX God
  • Bike: z1000sx
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »
I've not done the IAM or RoSPA courses.  I've looked into it and done a couple of initial assessments. 

What puts me off? I found it incredibly rigid.  On top of that a lot of IAM people don't come across very well.  I'm a middle aged man who has been riding for several years.  I ride most days and in pretty much all conditions and on a variety of roads.  I'm not a teenager about to take to the road for the first time, yet I'm spoken to like I'm a complete novice who will surely be killed on the roads unless I've got the IAM certificate. 

I guess you need to find the right people.  A couple of mates have done IAM recently and passed and they enjoyed it, but they're in a different area to me.

The West Midlands police bikesafe days are good. 

Offline kwacky

• SX God
  • Bike: z1000sx
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by On one wheel [+]

Just as a quickie when did you last practice a full on emergency stop on your bike to see how you react?

Once a week.  There's a road I ride to on my way home which has no buildings on it so is deserted.  I get up to about 60mph then test the brakes.  It's a habit I got into a few years ago when I read an article about how frequently bikers lock up the front and lose it.  I like strong brakes anyway so it's a good way to see if the brakes are working as I like them to and to feel for any vibration. 

Agreed about off roading.  I did dirt track and speedway last year and learned loads. 

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by kwacky [+]
I've not done the IAM or RoSPA courses.  I've looked into it and done a couple of initial assessments. 

What puts me off? I found it incredibly rigid.  On top of that a lot of IAM people don't come across very well.  I'm a middle aged man who has been riding for several years.  I ride most days and in pretty much all conditions and on a variety of roads.  I'm not a teenager about to take to the road for the first time, yet I'm spoken to like I'm a complete novice who will surely be killed on the roads unless I've got the IAM certificate. 

I guess you need to find the right people.  A couple of mates have done IAM recently and passed and they enjoyed it, but they're in a different area to me.

The West Midlands police bikesafe days are good.

Interesting your comments about rigidity and stuffyness.  I have found some IAM Gps to be like that and thankfully our group are quite flexible and fun people to ride with. I have heard that comment before as some Gps come across as quite self-important and preachy - which is not the way to engage with the riding audience.  Its got to be fun and make people feel involved and want to be part of the group.  Unfortunately the nature of some (but thankfully not all) of the people who want to be part of organising committees means that they want to feel important and all Capt Mannering ish.  And unfortunately like all things official from what I hear the head offices of both IAM and RoSPA are all becoming more corporate and business driven. 

Oh and as to OWW's comment on full on practice emergency stops - pretty much every time I go out - ideally - the wetter the better.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:00:04 AM by Rocky the Dog »
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline Fast Black

• SX God
  • Those were the days
  • Bike: Shiny Black/Grey
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 12:07:47 PM »
I did the IAM for the car about 15 years ago, did the bike safe about 6 years ago and finally did the IAM for the bike last year, all worth doing in my opinion, if you can learn anything its worth doing.   :002:
Remember to keep it rubber side down & shiny side up.........stay safe.

Offline K

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »
Past IAM test back in 1978 on a Suzuki GS1000. I was just interested to see if I could pass the test, it gave me a great deal of satisfaction when the officer said well done   :celebrate:    but don't ride to slow   :745:

Greg

Recent Topics