No advanced training but would like to/or am intending do some
10 (26.3%)
No interest - Advance qualifications are not for me
5 (13.2%)
Currently and IAM Associate,  RoSPA Student or on other Course
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: May 02, 2016, 07:57:12 PM

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advanced riding qualifications - who's got what  (Read 17051 times)

Offline phillh

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2016 SX Tourer
  • City / Town: Chester
Re: Advanced riding qualifications - who's got what
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
Just as an add on to my original question.  I am an active IAM observer and also coordinate BikeSafe with the Met Police for a variety of Service personnel and I am interested in what make people do Advanced trg and more importantly what puts them off.   Partialy as I would like to try and find a way of engaging with those who are not interested and believe it's not either necessary or fun.   As an aside I raced on the roads for a bit in the TZ days when younger and have ridden in a variety of guises since then.   I used to think I knew it all and was quite dismissive of training until about 7 years ago when I did a BikeSafe  (just to see what it was all about) followed up by IAM.   I learnt much about Road craft and honestly believe that it has made me a safer rider as a consequence.   Unfortunately the Services see too many young people injured due to motorcycle accidents,  primarily due to overconfidence and lack of experience and we have a higher rate of accidents overall when compared to the civilian population. I'm just trying to get my head round the whys and why nots so any input even negative feedback is welcomed..  If you haven't done it please let me know why not and even if you don't want to post on the Forum then feel free to PM me.   I'm just trying to figure out how to help those who don't necessarily engage in the whole advanced training thing.

Rgds Steve

I did the Cheshire bikesafe a few years ago and loved it. Since I've been meaning to do an advance riding course but not sure which one! I keep putting it off then winter arrives again!

Offline backtokwak

• SX God
  • Life is about kicking ass, not kissing it.
  • Bike: Green Z1000sx.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 03:11:39 PM »
passed the bike IAM test 8 years ago, and been an observer for 6 years.
passed the car IAM test last year and now doing car observing also.
i reckon i use a lot of what i learned on a daily basis and it certainly teaches you to look out for idiot road users....... and spot them earlier.
its not for everyone, but if you take nothing else away from it, the forward observation you are taught is well worth it, spotting hazards long before they become a hazard.

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Offline Steve58

• SX Master
  • Never Walk Backwards Of A Flat Roof
  • Bike: Z1000SX&Tiger
  • City / Town: Rochdale/Oldham
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »
Weather you consider it stuffy, or not for you, or whatever there  is no harm in having it because I would argue that even the most either arrogant full of himself egomaniac with nothing else to learn or the most experienced rider out there will still learn something, the point is you never stop learning, and if all you get out of it is the ability to look further up the road than you otherwise might then you have taken something positive away with you.
I didn't find any stuffiness at all all the blokes and ladies were mid forties to early seventies and all liked a laugh and a buttie and brew and swore like troopers and rode like the wind our group is more like a bunch of mates or a club going out for a Sunday morning blast, but we take associate members with us to educate along the way and all of them come back again with a smile ready to learn more.
You just have to understand that it's not full of pipe smoking B M riders with beards but open to every one,its good fun and cost nothing only the one off £139 course fee and usually about 6hrs training before the test with a copper sat up your chuff  :001:

Offline Beckyboo

• SX Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »
Passed IAM about 8 years ago on bike.
Had about 10 gap from bikes due to theft when I purchased bike for trip to French GP with some old biker friends.
I knew I needed practice b4 riding with them so joined iam and have not looked back.   
Passed car test around 2 years later
Still find roadcraft a safer way of driving, not only that I am getting older and cannot ride the way I used to.

Offline madmic

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »
IAM passed for a little over 2 years..

Joined 3 months after doing my DAS - best decision ever. Love the chilled out mentality of the group and learnt to ride so much safer than I ever would. Looking to do observer when the opportunity arises.  :002:

Don't have any doubts about extra training - just do it.

Offline Splash

• SX Master
  • Bike: sx 2017 Black
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 10:31:44 PM »
passed the IAM test some 11 years ago, still in the local IAM group as it is a good one although as others point out out there are some, within the groups, whose attitude can easily put new folk off {new to the IAM, not riding}.
The benefits are huge, Current and ex police class 1 off loading anything and everything they have, yours for the taking if the attitude is right.
All they do is guide and give you the tools to do the job, it is up to you what you take out of the bag to use.
Don't be put off, I am definitely not a "clubby" person, it just isn't me however I learnt, and continue to learn, loads.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:19:13 PM by Splash »
Target fixation, don't look to deeply into it..

Offline Steve58

• SX Master
  • Never Walk Backwards Of A Flat Roof
  • Bike: Z1000SX&Tiger
  • City / Town: Rochdale/Oldham
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 10:52:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Splash [+]
passed the IAM test some 11 years ago, still in the local IAM group as it is a good one although as others point out out there are some, within the groups, whose attitude can easily put new folk off {new to the IAM, not riding}.
The benefits are huge, Current and ex police class 1 off loading anything and everything they have, yours for the taking if the attitude
is right.
All they do is guide and give you the tolls to do the job, it is up to you what you take out of the bag to use.
Don't be put off, I am definitely not a "clubby" person, it just isn't me however I learnt, and continue to learn, loads.

:461:

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
I like all the positive stuff from those who have done an advanced course - lets hear from those who are not interested and why not - please shed some light for the reasons why not.

Steve
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline kwacky

• SX God
  • Bike: z1000sx
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »
Splash, you live near me.  Which club do you go to?

Offline Splash

• SX Master
  • Bike: sx 2017 Black
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 09:49:55 AM »
B.A.M, Birmingham Advanced, used to be based at the Tally-ho in Edgbaston but now runs from the National Motorcycle Museum out by the NEC.
first Wednesday of the month starts at 8.00 p.m, you can get in from appx 7.00 onwards,
Target fixation, don't look to deeply into it..

Recent Topics