Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: spanners in the bin.....  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
spanners in the bin.....
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
Reading the post on here recently about an MT-09 with a wrecked engine ( not sure why it bust, but it looked expensive) made me think of a couple of times when my mechanical skills (or lack thereof!!) ended up with something broken. One of my better ones was when I was stripping a Benelli 250 2 stroke down, I had the back wheel off, chain hanging from the front sprocket, silencers off, and for some reason wondered how it would sound with no silencers. Ignition on, one big swing of the kick-start, and it fired up first time.....yep, it was in gear, loose chain wrapped round the sprocket, jammed in the casing, and it ended up with a stripped gearbox to fix a broken tooth....twat!
Anyone care to share their own "what have I done" moments for others' amusement?

Offline Experience-Matters

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX (ebony)
  • City / Town: Vielsalm
Re: spanners in the bin.....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:22:26 PM »
I melted my headlights in the oven while heating them up for a bi xenon assembly.

Gas powered old oven ... and the heat was not everywhere equal.
I already spent 12 hours working on it (first time) and it was finished (3 layers paint etc ...) I just had to put it in the oven to make the glue workable so I could assemble it.

Costed me 240 € for a new headlight assembly :(

2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Ivans ECU + Full Akra + BMC & airbox mod + Valter Moto exh. hangers
Bitubo susp. front + rear, Brembo RCS19 + steel lines, Brembo pads + Rizoma reserv.
Lightech Rearsets, Rizoma sport grips, quicktrottle, short levers, Techspec snakeskin
Puig screen, Sargent seat, Rizoma tail tidy, Evotech Rad.Guard,
SW-Motech City tankbag + Evo tailbag + Aero cases + Eng. guards, Hepco & Becker sportsrack...

Online maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
Not a motorcycle incident but what the hell. In my early days in the RAF I was a fitter servicing and repairing anything from minis to aircraft refuellers and sometimes we had requests to look at personal vehicles. One day an officer asked me to have a look at his RS2000 which wasn't running very well. Quick diagnosis was blocked jet in the carburretor so whipped the top off and sure enough there it was and a quick blast with airline sorted it. Running sweetly he drove it away only to reappear 2 minutes lately on foot looking very angry. I had only forgotten to re-connect the fuel pipe which spewed petrol over the engine and it had burst into flame.

Online Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:38:32 PM »
Mac never had you down as a TG 6.  Explains a lot - including the realisistic pragmatism. ☺
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:31:04 AM »
Good stories guys, I'll have to think of something!  :018:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 06:17:16 AM »
My brother used to have an RS2000, twin webber 45's and a Janspeed exhaust, sounded ace  :028:.

Anyway I digress.

This was my major mechanical slip up  :006: ouch!

https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php/topic,6363.msg76755.html#msg76755

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
Wow, some expensive mishaps so far, making my Benelli incident pale into insignificance.
Maccmike, I also have a non-bike Officer's car related story, from many years ago during my army service. On the camp gate one morning, the Company Commander drove up to the gate, I lifted the barrier, saluted smartly, and waited for him to drive through. Sort of. I actually let go of the barrier, which landed on the bonnet of his Volvo. Oops. Expected a bollocking, but he just laughed. Perhaps the same attitude to cars as me, dents don't matter, as long as they go and stop!
Foxy, I'm glad you fixed that damage ok, looks bad in the photos.

Offline madmic

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
Stripping an old Honda C50... had the spark plug out, I'll just test for a spark..

Kicked it over - ouchy!!

I was touching the metal of the plug.

Not expensive but very funny to my watching Father!!!

Offline On one wheel

• SX God
  • Rev it to the red bit
  • Bike: Speed Triple 94R
  • City / Town: Up North
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 08:35:14 AM »
Rebuilt my mate SS50 and left it running all night in the back garden to "run it in" then full bore to Blackpool the next day  :005:

My mates FS1E seized with 200 miles on the clock, he had forgotten to add pre mix the oil so we pulled the barrel off and found a crack in the piston sooooo we snapped the bit off the piston, filed in down, put the barrel back on and ying off he went :celebrate:

Owned over 100 bikes and still going!!

Rev it till the red bit, dump the clutch and enjoy.

Speedy 94 - wheeeellieee !!

Online Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »
Rebuilt my Suzuki X7 (I had snapped the gearbox main shaft through too many wheelies).  After 3 weeks waiting for parts, carefully rebuilt it  and put it back together and rode off down the road feeling very pleased at my first successful engine rebuild. About 1/2 an hour later noticed a very annoying rattle and thought it was about to sieze.  On careful inspection noticed at the base of the barrel the 10mm socket head that I had used to bolt the barrels back to the crankcase.  Could not be bothered to strip the head back off again, so resolved the issue with a carefully applied piece of Wriggleys double mint gum - it was still there and rattle free when I sold it 15 months later.

Steve
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Recent Topics