Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12v socket  (Read 1937 times)

Offline AlbaKawa

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
12v socket
« on: June 11, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
Anyone had the genuine Kawasaki 12v socket fitted? Does it come with a replacement panel, or do they just cut into the original panel and wire in a socket? Seems a bit steep at £78.95 when you can get the sockets and wiring for about £5 on the internet. Fitted them to previoius bikes without a problem.

Offline ceesam

• SX Pro
Re: 12v socket
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »
The price is excessive like every other OEM part.  You can buy from ebay as I have which work perfectly fine.  Some of the sockets have different output amp ratings which means your charge will be faster or slower.  I have a usb socket which charges at 1amp.  This results in my gps(on my phone) discharging over time slowly (to zero on a long tour day).  Fitting is easy as they come with a metal ring/washer which when placed you can take a solder iron to melt a perfect fit.  Avoid sawing as it will take ages and you run the risk of slipping and scratching the panel.  It's best to position on the right because if you choose to fit a gear indicator into the panel it needs to go on the left otherwise it can't be seen because of the brake reservoir.   Pic of mine done attached

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »
if you have a 2017 bike then there will be no need to worry about placing on the right to allow a gear indicator on the left (as gear indicator is built into the dash) on my 2017 there looks to be a pop out section of plastic where a charger would be placed so there should be no cutting needed. (the power cables for the charger are also housed in this location)

as Ceesam said there are different chargers that charge at different amp rates so make sure you select on suitable for your charging needs. Also i would not get the oem charger, it is way too over priced.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
I have one of these routed up to the front Brake side cable collector: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/103773

and one of these under the seat: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OPTIMATE-SAE76-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-ACCESSORY/dp/B009YJ8938
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

Offline JMW

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX ABS TOUR
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:20:18 PM »
Mine has the genuine kwak one and is a replacement panel.
2017 TOURER AS PREVIOUS>>W/O Evotech
2014 Z1000SX ABS TOURER METALIC GRAPHITE GREY, COVERED IN R&G, LACED WITH EVOTECH AND WRAPPED IN DARK PUIG....
2012 SX TOURER

Offline StuL

• SX Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by AlbaKawa [+]
Anyone had the genuine Kawasaki 12v socket fitted? Does it come with a replacement panel, or do they just cut into the original panel and wire in a socket? Seems a bit steep at £78.95 when you can get the sockets and wiring for about £5 on the internet. Fitted them to previoius bikes without a problem.

Yes it's a replacement panel, no cutting or modification required. Just goes into the hole and fixes in place (screw down collar on the back from memory), then wire in the bullet connectors to the connectors under the dash area.

Offline dozzerday

• SX Junior
  • Where eagles dare
  • Bike: 2017 z100sx
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
I just tried to put a non kwacky socket on to my 2017, wired it all up and it didn't work!!! Can anyone advise what the best amp rating would be? This one was only a couple of quid of amazon!!

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
Don't want to sound stupid or teach you to suck eggs, but have you checked the fuse is in the fuse box for the 12v socket ?? we often overlook the simplest of things, have you also tried a temporary direct connection to the battery to prove the socket is working and not at fault.

Offline dozzerday

• SX Junior
  • Where eagles dare
  • Bike: 2017 z100sx
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »
Valid points Scotty, I did check there was a fuse, which there was. I didn't do a direct check with the battery though!! I assume that would ok and that there isnt anything between the battery and the bullet connectors that would do anything to reduce the voltage or ampage?

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »
Direct connection will be fine for a test to confirm the socket works. , fuses are only there to protect wiring from overload of the bike loom.

The fuse is what governs how many amps can be pulled there is nothing else between the battery and bullet connectors
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:11:47 AM by Scotty001 »

Recent Topics