Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stock Exhaust Replacement  (Read 2595 times)

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
Stock Exhaust Replacement
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »
So, as lovely as the SX is, I'm honestly not keen on the standard cans.

I've had a butchers at SP Engineering's ones, and as I have the blue SX (soon) I was thinking of these bad boys:

http://www.spengineering.co.uk/kawasaki-z1000sx-touring-10-17-round-diabolus-stubby-coloured-titanium-exhausts.html

My question (that I haven't entirely found answered through searches) is related to noise. Basically, I have a metal Asguard shed in the back garden and leave it at 6am weekdays, my concern is scaring the living daylights out of sleeping neighbours!

How do the SP cans differ from stock with regard to the db and noise type please? Would they be a problem or are they similar?

Any other suggestions for cheapish replacements? I don't really care about performance increase (coming from a VFR800 so will already be a big increase), and would rather the noise stays sensible and low, it is purely for aesthetics.

Thanks all

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Stock Exhaust Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »
Tonally the sound will be a bit deeper, but overall volume won't increase significantly if you leave the standard headers and CAT in place.
The loudest end cans for a stock bike are straight throughs like Urban Brawlers, since they are just pipes, with no baffling!

When you get your bike, just remove the stock cans and do a little test, you'll hear there is a difference, but not as much as you might expect  :009:
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Tonally the sound will be a bit deeper, but overall volume won't increase significantly if you leave the standard headers and CAT in place.
The loudest end cans for a stock bike are straight throughs like Urban Brawlers, since they are just pipes, with no baffling!

When you get your bike, just remove the stock cans and do a little test, you'll hear there is a difference, but not as much as you might expect  :009:

You mean remove the stock and leave nothing else on for the test?

Good to hear, a deeper tone sounds good, not sure if it would be more obtrusive though! Mind you, my late night film watching with Dolby Atmos probably annoys everyone much more!

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by nrps1 [+]
You mean remove the stock and leave nothing else on for the test?

Good to hear, a deeper tone sounds good, not sure if it would be more obtrusive though! Mind you, my late night film watching with Dolby Atmos probably annoys everyone much more!

Yes, just the end cans. Deeper tones travel further (my wife hears my subwoofer in the car, way before I actually reverse up my drive!) so it will be more annoying to neighbors, but  :027: hey ho!  :007:  :008:
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Yes, just the end cans. Deeper tones travel further (my wife hears my subwoofer in the car, way before I actually reverse up my drive!) so it will be more annoying to neighbors, but  :027: hey ho!  :007:  :008:

Yeah that's what I suspected! Hmmm

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have an integral garage, I just don't fire the bike up inside the garage (even with stock silencers it would wake up everyone in the house and the neighbours) due to the reverb &  resonance frequency.

I wheel the bike out of the garage and coast it down the drive then fire it up and ride off.

Offline zx9landie

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2011 z1000sz
  • City / Town: Frimley
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
H&V Urban brawlers got my vote
They are great - lighter weight, much smaller than & sound fantastic
Now for sale as changed the bike - grab a bargain in the for sale forum !
 :490:

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scotty001 [+]
I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have an integral garage, I just don't fire the bike up inside the garage (even with stock silencers it would wake up everyone in the house and the neighbours) due to the reverb &  resonance frequency.

I wheel the bike out of the garage and coast it down the drive then fire it up and ride off.

I had thought of that, but firstly I was always taught to give the bike some time idling as 'it isn't a car engine' so have just got used to that, plus having girly cold hands I like the heated grips to be up to temp! Oh, and another spanner in that plan is my drive is flat and the neighbour really takes the p#$$ parking so close I sometimes have to move 2 cars to get through grrrrr  :192:

Offline nrps1

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by zx9landie [+]
H&V Urban brawlers got my vote
They are great - lighter weight, much smaller than & sound fantastic
Now for sale as changed the bike - grab a bargain in the for sale forum !
 :490:

Ah, but when you say sound fantastic, they loud?! Just the name urban brawlers makes me think they would punch a granny and scare kittens...

Offline zx9landie

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2011 z1000sz
  • City / Town: Frimley
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »
defo not 'quite' but I've had worse exhausts before
I'm sure I found a youtube link with sound before I bought some 2 or 3 years ago
The brawlers are basically a straight pipe but as the original collector stays on the bike... it was never a problem for me
no where near as bad as a mates cb1000r with ixils on (& no collector) !
the brawlers do need the exhaust servo disconnecting which some people are not keen on. I left the servo on the bike & removed the wires with the stock cans personally with no issues
cheers

Recent Topics