Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RUNNING IN  (Read 586 times)

Offline keithzx

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
RUNNING IN
« on: September 01, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »
had my bike out for the first time today, managed 50 miles ,will get it out tomorrow and get some more on, running it at 4000 revs ,only get about 65 mph. did you stick to the 4000 , after a 100 miles think I will start going up to 5000 ,rolling it on and off , not cruising at 5000 ,what's your thoughts and how did you run yours in. its a pain in the arse this running in malarkey but its got to be done !!! first impressions , think  I need to do something with the screen ,and don't know about the seat yet, but think I will be getting a sore arse after around 150 mile . will have to try it to find out .

Offline Zen56

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 SX Orange
  • City / Town: Todmorden
Re: RUNNING IN
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 10:42:02 PM »
I ran mine in as per week Kwaks instructions. Plenty of gear changes and using different rev ranges but sticking to the 4000 limit.
Didn't want to invalidate the warranty.
Get out and about and it doesn't take long. I did mine in 3 weeks, and added bonus it beds the tyres in nicely.

Offline ed

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
I didn't stick to the running in instructions for long. Honda just say take it easy for first 300 miles.I've now covered over 6,000 miles on my 2017 model and it's running fine.

Seat is fine. I did 700 miles on Wednesday, Centre of Black Forest Germany to Derby in one long, wet day. No aches and I'm the wrong side of 50 and have dodgy knees...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:04:41 PM by ed »

Offline Artman

• SX Member
  • City / Town: West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:41:04 PM »
General rule of thumb for any bike was to run in at a maximum 50% of the red line limit I was told so I did just that. IMO 4k is difficult to adhere to on a new 140 BHP bike and this advice came from a Kawasaki dealer. I'd be interested in any other opinions for a balanced view  :002:

Offline Splash

• SX Master
  • Bike: sx 2017 Black
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »
I enjoyed running mine in, just changed the roads I was on. I have no interest in long tedious pile the miles on riding, so picked routes where it was difficult to go above the "recommended" rev ceiling. lots of tight twisty backroads and just longer enjoying the ride getting somewhere. The destination became the end result of a lot of great roads, masses of gear changes and rev variants all of which is only good for the running in.
Target fixation, don't look to deeply into it..

Offline phantomx0_1

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by keithzx [+]
had my bike out for the first time today, managed 50 miles ,will get it out tomorrow and get some more on, running it at 4000 revs ,only get about 65 mph. did you stick to the 4000 , after a 100 miles think I will start going up to 5000 ,rolling it on and off , not cruising at 5000 ,what's your thoughts and how did you run yours in. its a pain in the arse this running in malarkey but its got to be done !!! first impressions , think  I need to do something with the screen ,and don't know about the seat yet, but think I will be getting a sore arse after around 150 mile . will have to try it to find out .

I never run mine in!!! Ive had 10 brand new bikes over the years and have not once run one in to the letter! Never had a issue :305: :830:

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
My dealer told me to stick to under 5k for first 500 and vary the gear changes, come 1st service dealer said ride as you like just don't bounce it off the rev limiter. Considering they run a race team I'm sure they know the workings of a kawasaki engine.

Offline Yagoobian

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Stafford
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
I was told to keep it no more than 5k for the first five hundred then add 1k every hundred after that, however I was told by another Kawasaki dealer that the engines are redlined when they are tested at the factory to make sure they work properly and produce the power they should before being put in the bike, and as long as you don't race them from day one, you can't really do any damage.  Don't know how true that was?

Offline keithzx

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »
done another 100  iles to day, starting to get used to the sx , suspension is firm , but rides the bumps smoothly with no bumps or rattles (up to now) as mentioned before the only Kawasaki I have had that does not klunk into first gear, the other gears are so slick although I am running in and have only been to 4500 rpm , I am keep looking for a seventh gear!!! need to get it run and serviced soon as to try it out properly , seems to corner very nicely and I am surprised at the Kawasaki brakes , far better rear brake than the zzr. think I am going to need a better screen  and also a more comfortable seat ,.I know it cant compare with my k 16 , but at present I am happy with it, just need the seat and a more protective screen any ideas ??

Recent Topics