Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help! Frozen Petrol Cap  (Read 900 times)

Offline napa121

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Sidcup/Kent
Help! Frozen Petrol Cap
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
Hi guys,

I was going on a ride and went to the meeting point at a petrol station.  Went to fill up and spent the next 45 minutes spraying WD40 and trying to turn the petrol cap key but no joy.

Had a chat with a mate who also tried, we got the allen keys out and undid the surround which was no good.  Sprayed more WD40 and more wiggling but nothing.  Not even a slight movement.

Managed to just get home on the fuel I had ( very lucky and close) and watched a couple of youtube vids etc of things you can do to free up a petrol cap (people do some weird stuff....one took an electric sander to the petrol cap....but who am I to complain....he can now open his)

Tonight got home from work, spent an hour and half spraying WD40, wiggling the key and hitting with a rubber mallet, hitting with rubber mallet on top of a socket wrench right on the barrel lock itself but nothing shifting.

Has anyone got any ideas before I have to resort to drilling, damaging it etc?

Cant get at it from underneath I take it?

Going to Wales in a week and a bit so really need to sort something out asap.

Cheers
Neil
 :440:

Offline KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
Re: Help! Frozen Petrol Cap
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
Neil .. Bloody hell mate .. That sux.  :005:

With all the wiggling  ... Did you try pushing down on the cap to relieve the spring pressure on the locking tabs that secure the cap in the tank, and turn the key at the same time?

You probably have .. Was just asking !!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:20:12 PM by KD »
Regards David.

Offline napa121

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Sidcup/Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by KD [+]
Neil .. Bloody hell mate .. That sux.  :005:

With all the wiggling  ... Did you try pushing down on the cap to relieve the spring pressure on the locking tabs that secure the cap in the tank, and turn the key at the same time?

You probably have .. Was just asking !!!

Yep..push down whilst pressing in different directions etc....

It's Soooo infuriating Dave....

It's like the bottom of the key hits something and so doesn't fully engage.

I don't understand how it could corrode after only 3 years of being kept inside ???

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
You are not the first Neil.  Sorry this isn't all that helpful but it may be that the only solution is to drill it out.  https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php/topic,8000.msg97546.html#msg97546

I think before resorting to drilling, I would be tempted to try to bump it open.  I.e. bump the key in and out rapidly with light turning pressure. If you are lucky the tumblers may just align enough to get it to open.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:44:06 PM by burty »
2011 Z1000SX, in GREEN, owned since September 2011.  50,000 miles, MCT tweaked front suspension, Maxton Rear shock, heated grips, MRA dark sport screen, PDoiler, Scorpion Serket Exhausts.

Offline Alzie

• SX Pro
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:02:54 PM »
Apologies if this is too obvious, but have you tried all available keys in the lock, in case the key is the problem? Unlikely I know, as the key you've used starts the bike ok, but anything is worth a try before resorting to violence...

Offline 3twins

• SX Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:27 AM »
If you can get it  plusgas is much better penetrating oil than wd40.  Try that, also you obviously can't use heat but what about liquid co2 (chewing gum remover) down the keyhole followed by putting the pre heated key end down the hole?  Might be best to get a dummy key cut for this from a blank?  So the heat doesn't damage the chip in the key.

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »
pour some coca cola down it and leave it overnight, if its caused by corrosion it will open in the morning

Offline Fast Black

• SX God
  • Those were the days
  • Bike: Shiny Black/Grey
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »
Hi Neil, you said it feels like the key is not going all the way in, you may have a small foreign body down in the bottom of the key hole, try filing half a millimetre off the bottom of the key or even a millimetre, it should not effect the key and you still have a spare, this may work, another thing is an air line blast down the key hole but you will have to wedge the slide open, good luck.
Phil.
Remember to keep it rubber side down & shiny side up.........stay safe.

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
I think Phil has hit the nail on the head here, if it isn't going all the way in it won't turn and no amount of WD40 will help. Air line is probably best option and if that doesn't work take tank off and turn upside down. Good luck whichever path you try.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:16:16 PM by maccmike »

Offline 3twins

• SX Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 06:14:07 PM »
Not necessarily.  If the tumbler pins have corroded in position the key may not get all the way to the bottom of the lock. Good luck.

Recent Topics